Athena and Debbi talk about five simple actions that you can take right now to be happier and less anxious.
- Take some deep breaths. Ho you are breathing affects your mindset and how you feel. Deep breathing stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which guides the body from stress to relaxation.
- Write down three good things that happened today, or that you noticed.
- Even a forced smile when you are stressed or flustered can decrease stress and make you happier. This fact was proven in a study titled, “Grin and Bear it: The influence of manipulated positive facial expression on the stress response. This study was published in the Journal of Psychological Science.
- Take a walk outside or move around inside. Just five minutes of cardiovascular exercise can boost your mood. Once you get moving, your brain releases serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. These hormones make you feel happy.
- Listen to music. Music affects the brain’s neurons that produce serotonin, a key chemical that affects your mood. In a recent study published in The Journal of Positive Psychology, music was successfully used to improve the moods and boost overall happiness of study participants in just two weeks.
Recorded January 13, 2017
For more information:
- Debbi’s life coaching services and personal growth seminars: